To provide more efficient collection services, the Oakland Town Commission approved a request to shift recycling pick-ups from Friday to Wednesday. The change, requested by hauler Waste Management, which recently acquired the Town’s contractor Advanced Disposal, intends to provide increased resources, more efficient route completion, and address concerns of the comingling of materials.
“The Town is committed to ensuring that residents receive the best service at the most affordable rates and this small shift will provide the needed resources for more reliable recycling collection,” said Public Works Director Mike Parker.
The start date for the change to Wednesday recycling will be Aug. 4. Collection days for garbage and yard waste will not change. Residents will be receiving a postcard from Waste Management with additional information in the coming weeks.
To “Recycle Right,” be sure to follow these guidelines when placing materials in your Town-issued recycle bins.
- Newspapers, pasteboard, paper bags, magazines and junk mail should be placed in recycle bin. Flattened cardboard may be placed next to the bin and should be no larger than 3 feet by 3 feet.
- Recycle aluminum and tin cans, glass bottles, drink boxes and milk/juice cartons, empty aerosol cans, plastic containers marked with a #1 or #2, and plastic bottles marked with a #3 or #7
- Put excess recyclables into brown paper bags or cardboard boxes no larger than the size of your recycling bin. Excess newspapers and magazines may be stacked and tied with string.
- Do not use plastic bags for recycling.
- Do not mix recycling with yard waste.
For more information on what is recyclable at home, common contaminants, recycling myths and more, visit www.wm.com/recycleright. Residents are also encouraged to complete the Solid Waste Service Request Form on the Town’s website at Oakland FL if a collection is missed.